10/28/2008

HOW TO KNOW GOD IS YOUR TREASURE and not his gifts
DESIRING GOD: JOB WHEN THE RIGHTEOUS SUFFER

Several people from our church went to a conference in Austin a week ago. WOW!!


Oh, Lord if this were lost instead and all I had was you, I would be rich, and have the greatest good.

JOB: When The Righteous Suffer, session 1
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/MediaPlayer/3335/Audio/

JOB: When The Righteous Suffer, session 2
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/MediaPlayer/3336/Audio/

JOB: When The Righteous Suffer, Questions and Answer, session 3
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/MediaPlayer/3337/Audio/

Job lost everything: his wealth, his health, and his ten children. All swept away in one satanic storm. Reduced to a heap of flesh, ashes, and tears—rebuked by friends and jeered by strangers—righteous Job wrestled over the purpose and presence of God in the midst of unbearable pain.

QUESTIONS FROM THE CONFERENCE:
* What language should we use to talk about God's sovereignty over sin?
* How much did the Holy Spirit have to do with Job's ability to suffer well?
* As an ancient believer, how was Job's faith different than ours?
* How could Satan come into God's presence? Does he still?
* Did God initiate the meeting with Satan?
* How should we view Satan's involvement in our lives?
* What is involved in the worship that comes in the moments of deepest suffering?
* Would it be wrong to express anger and frustration in these moments?
* How do you lovingly speak the truth of God's sovereignty to sufferers?
* What does it mean to be righteous?
* What does it mean for the righteous to suffer when there is none righteous before God?
* How do we make sure our kids are prepared for suffering when our family has undergone so little?
* What do you say to a couple who lost their infant and now God seems so far away?
* How do I help my disabled child understand God's sovereignty when she faces not just physical suffering, but emotional suffering because of continual ridicule?
* What do you do for an unbelieving friend whose suffering is pushing her away from God?
* What do you do when you can't see God's good purposes in suffering?

You can listen to them online or download the audio or video for free. As usual, most all of the Desiring God stuff is FREE. Including many of his books.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!! is all I can say. I have read the book twice...but need to do the study at the end...WOW

WES said...

yup!

Anonymous said...

I just wish I could remember AND comprehend what I hear. One of the few things I remember from the conference...except that I was overwhelmed with it....anyway... at the end he talked about "tone" when we are speaking to others in correction, or giving opinion. I am guilty of not giving a quiet answer... I am going to try and remember that for life. I know it ..now if I can just implement it.
I am still amazed by this guy.