9/09/2008

WHAT IT READS / WHAT IT MEANS
I don't know how many times I'll hear someone (including myself) quote a scripture COMPLETELY out of context and apply a meaning to the text that makes absolutely no sense to the original meaning of the context. INTERPRETATION is in the eye of the beholder has become the fad of today.

Reading the Bible is important but understanding what it really means is very important. Steve McCoy has collected some 'Books on Biblical Hermeneutics' HERE.

My picks are:
How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Douglas Stuart and Gordon Fee
Biblical Exegesis by John Piper
The Hermeneutical Spiral by Grant Osborne

Listening to the Spirit in the Text - Fee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, true.

Anonymous said...

Context is key, my brother. Amen.

By the way, I noticed in your wishlist you had Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog at Nighttime. Next time we're in Munday, I'll bring you my copy. It's a great read.

WES said...

The wish list continues to grow as my time gets squeezed to the max. It's more like a 'I want to read' list.

I've heard the Haddon book was a good one. Thanks for the offer.